Friday 6 July 2012

Whilst the kids are away the adults will play... day1

Whilst Emma was at Cub camp last weekend we took the chance to get in some outdoor activities. The weather forecast for the mountains wasn't sounding too promicing, but that was actually quite appealing having nearly got sun stroke on the last 2 long walks we have done!

Plan was to show Steve the hills on the other side of the road to Pen Y Fan etc. There is a nature reserve there at the cliffs of Craig Cerrig-Gleisiad. We arrived late in the day having had a lazy start so it was almost lunch time by the time we parked up in the nearly full car park. Tree felling appears to have started in preparation for the new visitor centre. I know the trees are the type of trees which get felled for wood anyway, but seems a shame to lose the nice wooded area. I like the fact the Beacons has none of the tourist stuff associated with other areas of Wales.

Off we headed off down the Taff trail - it all looked a bit wet and soggy in the rain. I remember the walk I'd done there in the snow a year or so back. How pristine everything looked in the snow. The heavy showers the forecast had promiced soon kicked in, no sooner had we got our waterproofs on the sun had come out again and we were roasting as we headed up hill across a field to cross the road and start the climb up Craig Cerrig-Gleisiad . There were lots of pretty alpine flowers about including Thyme which I recognises on site and identified by smell (my botany skills must be improving!)
There were some good views of the cliffs and the most common Beacons..





Zoomed in, distant friends..



We stopped and had our much needed lunch under a tree on our track to the top. We were then treated to some strong winds and more heavy stinging rain - it hurts a bit when it's hitting you at 30 MPH!



We continued on to Fan Frynych heads down trying to avoid the brunt of the wind..





After this the sun came out and it was on to Craig Cerrig-Gleisiad and to bag a geocache. The geocache was easily found, but the temperature had dropped and wind chill was kicking it. On went the fleece, hat and balaclava. I realised my gloves weren't in my bag (had I lost them or left them behind?). A lesson in how quickly conditions up high can change..









We were doing fairly well for time and decided it was too early to head home, so it was off to Fan Dringarth to grab another geocache and to clock in some extra miles.
We could see the rain shower all around, but they weren't coming back to us just yet..



Bog cotton



I was having a bit of a tired day and struggling with chest pain (the joys of asthma) nothing really was helping so lots of rest stops were in order..

Watching the dramatic skies



In this photo you can see our way down and straight back up the other side..



This poor butterfly was struggling in the wind..



Views down to ystradfellte reservoir



Once we had bagged the geocache in the abandoned quarries Steve took the easy route down..



We headed down towards the river in the valley - I think it is called the Afon Dringarth - we did wonder if it would be possible to crossed it, I took the optomistic approach, it it was not crossable in boots, boots would come off. Luckily it was stepping stone able and the rocks were pretty grippy.





Once crossed we opted for the straight up the steep side of Fan Fawr option rather than heading off to the easier path. It was hard work especially as halfway up a really heavy shower kicked in. It was so heavy I thought it was hail at first and eventually the wind side of my waterproof (berghaus) trousers started to leak.

Due to me heading slightly in the wrong direction we ended up near to the trig point on the top of Fan Fawr which we hadn't intended to visit. It was a useful navigation aid and Steve got us back to the path taking us to the road side end of the peak which then lead down a very steep path back to the car. We both did well to stay in our feet on the slippery slop (think I resorted to bum sliding in the snow last time I was there!)





I dashed the last section back to the car as I was feeling quite cold and wet. My luck was in where back at the car as the roadside caf' had stayed open for wet walkers and did me a tea and chocolate flake.

Next time the forecast is for rain I shall remember to take a flask..

2 comments:

  1. Looked so nice in the first few photos...

    Know what you mean about the weather turning - on Fairfield last year and ended up with hat, winter gloves etc on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually wasn't as bad as the forecast had suggested, if we'd have set off earlier we would have only of had a few showers. I was actually hoping for a bit more wind, I like a bit of gale force wind if the day is a bit dreary, adds to the excitement :) (NB this only applies to nice grassy hills where there's no exposure!)

    ReplyDelete