Sunday 15 July 2012

Goatchurch Cavern 14/7/12

Goatchurch Cavern is a cave often used outdoor groups and local caving clubs as an introduction cave for novices. It has a bit of everything - climbs, squeezes, crawls & a small stream at the bottom. As a result of this despite being a good cave to take beginners in due to it's size & variety of features it also has some very polished rock which can cause a bit of an issue for small people (and big people). I can testify this from having fallen on my arse in a nearby similarly polished cave (thankfully I came away with just bruises and  injured pride!)

I'd been meaning to take Emma into Goatchurch for a while, but never quite managed to get round to it. As she had coped so well caving (in pretty wet conditions) with the YSS we decided Goatchurch would be a good step up. We arrived at Burrington Combe pretty late as the traffic coming out of Bristol was appalling (3 protests in one day, not a good time to pass through the centre). It was raining and there were only a few cars in the carpark which pleased us (meaning the cave would be pretty empty which was lucky for a wet Saturday). I'm still on the  fence about whether to invest in 'proper' caving gear for Emma - finding suitable caves is a little tricky and she doesn't really cave often enough to warrant it. Saying that she does have a decent helmet to wear (with light).Under that she had on her Ronhill bottoms, thermal top, waterproof trousers. climbing harness & boiler suit over the top of it all. If it had been a wet cave I would have added here waterproof coat before putting on the boiler suit. She had my velcro elbow pads as knee pads  - the perfect fit!

There's something about the woods above the Combe which seem full of magic. I recall a few years back doing a walk through there taking in all the Cave entrances, thinking how mysterious they all were.It was that walk that inspired me to contact a caving club & take up caving. Before that I'd been caving with the Guides with an outdoor group, but bailed out of the drainpipe (which we will talk more about later).

En route up through the woods we passed the entrance to Sidcot Swallet (one for another day Emma...) and continued up to Goatchurch. We passed the Tradesman's Entrance to the cave and continued up to the main entrance. The cave has two entrances and we were planning to do a round trip.



Despite all being keen mountaineers the walk up to Goatchurch never fails to leave us out of puff!



Slowly we bum shuffled into the cave, when we reached the railings we explained to Emma that it had briefly been a show cave many years ago. Later on during the trip she commented that she didn't think it would have worked as a show cave as people would not have been able to get through it very easily!



First obstacle was the Giants Steps - steep polished natural steps descending down into the cave. Steve went first and blocked the hole so Emma could descend.



Then it was along Drunkards passage (named so due to it's sloping nature) to find a route into the boulder chamber. Despite visiting the cave a fair few times before I always get confused around the passages leading into the boulder chamber. We located the Midgets Steps (more smaller natural steps) which took us down to a sloped section. After this we faffed about a bit in the dining chamber ?(hoping I got this in the right order) and found the safest passage down into the boulder chamber.



Emma was really excited about seeing all the smoothed calcite about and was really enjoying herself. She declared it the best caving trip yet, and was finding her way through the cave safely with very little help needed. Next challenge was the Coffin Lid - a smoothed slope with a low roof above you. I tend to lie on my tummy and grip the slides to control the speed I go down it. Steve went down first then helped Emma.

Take 1



Take 2!



 We'd managed to leave the survey behind by mistake so missed out the Grotto entirely (I think, looking at the Survey afterwards) and in we went to the Water Chamber down another slope. I managed to recall that the concreted steps lead down to the dig/Drainpipe. Emma and I took a break whilst Steve zipped down to the bottom of the dig to have a nose. I decided not to send Emma down the tiny passage I'd lost my torch in earlier in the year ( I got stuck, dropped it down a hole and couldn't get it back despite admirable attempts by Ivan).

We descended to the drainpipe which is a long tubular passage (a novice caving classic which I wasn't brave enough to tackle as a child!) - Emma liked the echoes it made. I sent Steve through first (explaining if he got stuck it would be best I was at the back :). Emma went next, going so fast down it I could barely take a photo.

Small people can do it on there hands and knees..


The drainpipe looks worse that it looks in photos and soon ended in another sit up able in Cavern. From here there is a way on through some tight passage and squeezes to some other interesting things, but it would have been too much to take Emma to on her first trip. Emma and I decided to paint on some mud war paint whilst Steve had a nose round the chamber. It was then time to go back down the drainpipe. I attempted to sit up and take a photo, with minimum success!





Some people can't go hands and knees through :)


Emma started to notice all the fossils in the passage and spent the rest of the trip pointing out loads of really interesting fossils I've not noticed before.

In reading up about the cave whilst writing this blog I've also noted there's some markings to be seen in the cave. Will have to keep a closer eye out next time.

Once back in the Water Chamber we went 'a huntin for the steam- first dropping down into a hole, then a squeeze for Emma and I to watch it dripping down some calcite. Steve had a go at coming to join us but decided his chest was too big.





We then went to the top of the chamber to watch it running down the cave and to see the calcite which has formed in it's pathway.



Top of the stream - NB the cut on chin was from a slip getting out a swimming pool - nothing to do with caving!


Our exit from the cave went without incident. Emma had a go at the Coffin Lid, but had to have a helping hand from Steve for the last little bit as didn't have the arm strength to make it up (I protected from the bottom) We passed back a different way from the boulder chamber  - a narrower passage. Emma and Steve found my slow progress amusing as I had my rucksack on my back and kept getting stuck.. Back up the midgets steps we went, again with Emma making very fast progress.



Our exit was to be through the Tradesmans entrance - a slippery climb up with very polished footholds. We were planning on rigging a rope but Emma decided she wanted to have a try without. I climbed up first and positioned myself in a secure place just below to give Emma a hand, Steve then protected her as she went up. She got up to me and took my hand to get up the very last bit - all those climbing sessions must be paying off!

All in all a fantastic trip - despite visiting the cave a number of times prior we explored little nooks and crannies I'd normally by-pass and I had my own little cave archaeologist to give me the tour.

Our plan post cave had been to head up to the brook and to do a mini gorge scramble onto Blackdown, but time had caught up with us so we had to make do with a walk down the faster flowing than normal stream.



We were rewarded in the cafe with glorious home made cake, steaming mugs of tea & ice cream for Emma.



For the cavers reading this apologies if I've got any technical details wrong or things in the wrong order, my memory is never the best. Have a survey to see for yourself.



Fancy having a go?
Go here or here


No comments:

Post a Comment